Sunday, July 21, 2013

Evening of day 6

Today we made our way from Deschutes National Forest to the Nez Perce Powwow grounds in Wallowa, OR. We left DNF at 8:30 am and didn't arrive to the powwow grounds until 8:30pm. UGH! If you do the math, that's 12 hours of travel. The car ride itself wasn't that bad. We were able to stop at a Safeway and I had my first coffee in two weeks, an iced white chocolate mocha from Starbucks. Charlie, Monet, and I also visited the Safeway deli and I got chow mien, pot stickers, and two Pepsi's :D
While we were at Safeway,  Michelle George rented Pitch Perfect and we watched in the car ride. It was grand. For dinner we stopped at Burger King. I'm getting pretty tired of fast food. When we got back in the car, we had a HU Crew sing-along. Yay for bonding! 

When we finally reached the Powwow grounds, it was late, and we still had to set up our tents and sleeping arrangements.Once we finally got settled, we all were able to go check out the Powwow for a little while. It was my very first Powwow.  I had a lot of questions about the dancing, but Monet answered all of them for me. One of the things I've really enjoyed about this trip, is that  I am learning so much about a culture that has always been in my life, but I've never taken the time to learn about. So far, I've enjoyed everything i have learned, and am so happy to finally learn about such an ancient culture.

I'm excited to continue on the journey, but i am really ready to go home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment